The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development, detailed the Government of Canada’s Innovation and Skills Plan at The ONE National Conference for senior financial leaders from across the country. The Innovation and Skills Plan is a multi-year strategy to turn promising business ideas into market-ready innovations.
Innovation and Skills Plan
The Government plans to support the growth of Canadian companies by:
- investing $1.4 billion in clean technology providers;
- investing $1.2 billion in the Strategic Innovation Fund
- investing $950 million in the Innovation Superclusters Initiative to increase business investment in research and development;
- providing Canadian companies with access to international talent under the Global Skills Strategy;
- investing $125 million to launch the Pan-Canadian Artificial Intelligence Strategy; and
- supporting big-data analytics to drive innovation.
For more, see Government of Canada Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED)
“Where innovation happens is where the middle-class jobs of today and tomorrow are created. Our government is making smart and responsible investments in innovation that will result in better jobs and opportunities for all Canadians and help equip Canadians with the in-demand skills for the jobs of today and into the future. That’s how innovation leads to a better Canada.”
– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development